Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Sight Word Love




 
Homeschooling has been one of the biggest pleasures and struggles of my life. I absolutely love teaching my own children. It gives me a chance to be creative and go back to my days of being a public school teacher. It is also amazing to watch my loves learn and be able to help build a joy of life long learning.

One of my loves is doing a mix of Kindergarten and 1st grade, depending on the subject. We are doing a  ton of work with sight words, reading and writing sentences. So for fun, the day before  Valentine's Day, I made tons of little hearts with all the words he knew. Then he moved the words around to build sentences. And we practiced writing them neatly, starting with a capital letter and even adding punctuation. It is great fun, it gets away from always doing a  worksheet and it gives you the ability to easily add more adjectives and change up the sentences.

For my oldest love, the hearts contained fractions and mixed numbers. She randomly selected two hearts at a time, to represent the length and width of a rectangle. Then she used a ruler to draw the rectangles and finally, she calculated the perimeter and area of the rectangle. There were so many great skills coming together in this activity.

What fun things do you do to keep homeschooling fun?


No comments:

Post a Comment