Thursday, May 14, 2015

I am not on a diet.


D.I.E.T.

Oh that dirty four letter word.

And, yet its original meaning has nothing to do with trying to lose weight or some temporary fix.

Someone asked my husband yesterday if I was still "on that weird diet." And I don't know why, but I instantly got mad. I think it is because of the meaning of the word diet used here. Yes, my diet, or the foods that I eat, may be different than other people's choices. I choose not to eat things out of boxes or cans. I don't need frankenfoods with chemicals and other things that I don't want to put in my body. I enjoy making my own foods, even if it takes longer or makes a mess. I even like growing my own foods. I still eat pretty normal things, they just tend to be prepared differently. I eat pizza, tacos, cookies. I don't eat them all the time, but they are still eaten in my house. I also like lots and lots of veggies and I like choosing what ingredients are used in my recipes.

I don't go into people's houses and ask them when they are going to stop eating their typical foods. I don't force my food upon anyone that comes to my home either. That is their choice and this is mine. And I have no plans of stopping. I am not on a diet. And this is not temporary. I am choosing to eat healthy. I will always eat real food. Get over it.

Eating real food is something you can always do. It doesn't have to be a temporary change until you lose weight or run that race or fit in that dress. Real food brings health and it tastes way better too. Why would I ever want to go back to feeling awful or eating something that tastes bad?

There was a point about three years ago where I started to feel my worst. My fingers were so swollen my hubby had to cut my wedding rings off my fingers. That was a sad day. And from then on I have been trying to figure out how to naturally feel better.

I don't want to live with
                         being swollen
                         migraines and headaches
                         not sleeping well
                         feeling depressed
                         foggy brain
                         constantly feeling like I look pregnant because my stomach is so swollen
                         being grumpy
                         fluctuations between constipation and diarrhea
                         dizzy spells that can last for days 
                         or the countless other symptoms

And these all happen when I don't eat real food, or when I go to someone's house for dinner and try not to be rude by eating the food, or meet everyone at a restaurant for food that doesn't agree with me.

People take food so personally. If I was allergic to something, they would have no problem with me passing on eating something, but the pure fact that I am making a choice not to eat it makes it somehow different. It doesn't seem to matter to some that eating certain foods make people sick. You might not be able to see the sick right away or on the outside, but the other person can feel it. And sometimes it can last a long time. I would not want to do that to someone I care about.

So, instead I choose to eat real food. This may offend you. And I am sorry. I am not willing to feel bad from food anymore. I am not on a diet. I am living my life to the fullest and this is what I eat. It helps me feel my best so that I can keep having fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment