Thursday, May 28, 2015

Why is a floor or level called a story?


My beautiful daughter came over to hug me with a silly little smile on her face. And then she shares this with me: "You know what, Mommy? I thought that a building with 30 stories was called that because I could read 30 stories in the time it would take you to go from the bottom to the top. Now I know that it means it has 30 floors."

She actually wasn't all that far off. It turns out that back in medieval times there were pictures on buildings/walls that told stories. So the picture(s) on the lowest level was called the first story. On the next level were pictures of the second story. And as you made your way up, you would reach more and more stories. Nowadays I believe that story might even refer to certain measurements, but I still like this idea of each floor having a story.

I don't know what it was about her newest learning experience that made me so happy, but it sure did. It reminded me of just the pure beauty of learning, the innocence of childhood and I am not sure what else. I am kind of at a loss for words. Anyways, I thought it was beautiful enough to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment